This unit requires Structure, Bonding and the Mole to have been completed.
- Electronic definitions and ionic redox half-equations, constructing complete redox equations from ionic half equations, oxidation numbers.
- Factors affecting rate of chemical reactions, collision theory, Maxwell-Boltzmann curves, the intermediate compound theory of catalysts, activation energy, reaction energy profiles, the order of reaction.
- Reversible reactions, equilibrium in a closed system, Le Chatelier’s principle, Kc and Kp.
- Enthalpy changes, standard states, Hess’ law, bond enthalpies, bond length, bond order, calculation of enthalpy of reaction.
- Preparation of molar solutions, titration techniques, acid/alkali titrations and calculation of results.
Method of assessment: Practical 20%, Examination 80%